"There is a bit of insanity in dancing that does everybody a great deal of good."
~Edwin Denby



Sunday, March 9, 2014

13.1

Yes.. You read that right, 13.1--miles... Yes miles...  Are you cringing yet? Or itching to lace up your shoes? Me-- I'm still contemplating my answer to that ;)

I started running about 3 years ago and competing in 5k's (3.1 miles).  Last year I stepped it up and completed my first 10k (6.2 miles) and ran my second one a little over a month ago. The adrenaline rush from crossing that finish line and running to beat your own time is amazing.  I have a friend, Dottie, who  got me started running and who runs quite a bit more than I do-- and she has been one of a few who keeps me inspired and motivated to keep pushing myself......

Pushing is exactly what I did this past year. I can officially say that I have ran and completed my first ever half-marathon.... Some may not think much of it but let me just tell you what an accomplishment it feels personally!! Dottie and I have ran the Little Rock 5k together the last 2 years and decided this year we would do the half. 13.1 miles takes preparation, focus, and endurance.. And for this particular race this year-- a raincoat and gloves....

One of which we both forgot in the vehicle as we headed toward the start line!! The race this year was cold with temperatures dropping as the race went on and wet as it drizzled and sprinkled pretty much the whole time.  And the course... I always forget just how tough the courses are in downtown Little Rock...  They will test you physically and mentally.


We ran the first 11 miles with those running the full marathon.... And can I just tell you when I saw the miles 13 sign the only thing I could think was... I am sooooo glad I don't have another 13 to go!! This girl doesn't think she'll ever do anything more than 13.1 but I'm ok with that:)

We had plenty of cheerleaders there that day and had it not been raining they had motivating signs for us too :) Dot told me before we got to the race Sunday morning-- 'you'll feel like a badass when you finish' and let me just tell you 'badass' might have been an understatement!! The theme of this years race was 'Epic' and epic it was!!! Oh and did I mention the medals they give to all finishers?!?! They are massive!!



If you've been thinking of getting started my first piece of advice-- sign yourself up for a 5k! It's the best motivation to get you going and keep you going....

Do you run? Are you thinking of competing in a race? What's the longest distance you've ran?

Any full marathoners out there?!?! Any one compete in any of the Little Rock races this past weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment